Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Dances with Donkeys

Walter is an accomplished dancer, light and quick on his feet. 

Here is his dance: I approach, and as soon as he notices me, I stop. If I take another step forward, he dances off: hop, skip, spin! If I wait, he invites me to be his partner by walked a few steps toward me.  Then I am allowed to take one OR two steps towards him. But if I take that third step...hop, skip, spin away! So it goes. He comes a few steps closer, I am allowed my two steps--no more, or I lose my dance partner--he comes even closer, and eventually, we meet, hand to nose.

Big sighs, antenna ears rotating, then having won his trust (for TODAY only, donkey trust expires each night and must be won again and again) he will stay firmly attached to me, up and down the pasture, up to the barn, wherever I go, we go together. What a compliment!

At dusk last evening, I returned to the barn to turn out the herd for the night. First, I just sat for awhile in the dry lot. Sitting on the ground, I am at Walter's eye level, and so must practice a new dance. For changing position changes the dance of course! Changing ANYthing changes EVERYthing in a donkey's world. I inquired about the rules of this new dance, and learned that eye contact was quite rude, far too intrusive, and that the most modest approach was to tip my head slightly down, and to the side, and look away (which happens to be Walter's favorite way to approach life). This made room for Walter's gentle energy to move into a shared space with me, and to take a bit of carrot from my hand. This was a quiet dance, imperceptible except to the most astute observer. We sat like this, dancing together, for some long time and I was careful to gather my energy gently away from him when it was time to leave.

Donkeys make excellent dance instructors.

1 comment:

  1. I love this post and description of Walter! I can so clearly picture you and he in the dry lot together "dancing"

    ReplyDelete