Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Whose pasture is it?

Had no pasture time yesterday, due to rain and work, but did get to do the book and chair visit again this am. The dynamic of the herd was completely different today, as they were all still hanging in the barn when I made my way out to the pasture. I tried to find a low point to set up my chair, as it was really windy. Then, just sat and took out my book and read as is becoming my habit.

It was interesting to experience the pasture withOUT the horses already there. The sound of the ever-present wind, the soft lowing of the cattle across the road, the sound of birdcalls, and dogs barking far away--those filled my ears. The green grass, and scutting clouds filled my eyes.  And the fence, suddenly I was so conscious of the fence. I saw it as a boundry, an enclosure, a limit, in a way that was never quite so clear to me before. The pasture is not too small for our little herd, but to be there everyday, day after day, they must know it so intimately.

I'm not sure that more space to roam would equal more equine happiness. Whenever our horses have "escaped" they seem almost more unnerved by their freedom than excited by it. And, there are some bad things on the other side of the fence, some animals that might bite, some holes to fall into, and so on.  So maybe their pasture feels as secure and homey to them as my bedroom does to me.  I do think they like the fact that they can see good distances in all directions, and have a varied terrain to keep things interesting.

Anyway, the time alone there made me appreciate just how much it's NOT my pasture, it is THEIRS.

Eventually they decided to join me, and this time Susie came up first to greet me, though she was still a bit unsure about it, she was able to come close enough for a cookie.  Sophia and Walter were right behind her, and they all three decided that grazing within arm's length of me was a good idea. Sophia was the most interesting: she started grazing with her head at my feet, and then just continued along, so that I ended up practically sitting underneath her. That was a big trust issue for ME, as she can be really right-brained and has a big, jumpy spook, but I really wanted to be able to "be" with her and trust her with me. All was well, and she was happy to receive scratches all along her body as she slowly went past.

Then both mares had to have big face itches and rubs, and I had to go get ready for work.

No comments:

Post a Comment