Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Elephants in the pasture

Just for fun, imagine that you have a pasture full of elephants.  Then, insert the word "elephant" into your ordinary life with horses. 

"My elephant's circling game is broken."

"I'm working on getting my elephant to step under himself more. My elephant is too heavy on his forehand."

"I played with my elephant in the round pen tonight.  He had a lot of trouble taking the correct lead."

Just an idea I am playing with.  Why do you think it is that we have such a very different set of expectations for horses that we do for other large mammals?  You could replace "elephant" with deer, or bear, or groundhog, I suppose. Or, even, dog.

Just thoughts...

Tonight the herd was only interested in intense grooming and continued de-shedding. First really warm day, and more fur was flying. Everyone loved the Furminator.

Now it is nearly 8 PM, and I'm sitting on the deck, listening to the first bobwhite song of the year. It is too beautiful for words.

1 comment:

  1. Hilary wrote:
    "Why do you think it is that we have such a very different set of expectations for horses that we do for other large mammals? You could replace "elephant" with deer, or bear, or groundhog, I suppose. Or, even, dog.

    Just thoughts..."


    Hilary, it is encouraging to me to know there are more and more people asking themselves questions such as you've posed here in this blog posting.

    Something is happening for humans and how they view their relationships with non-humans and it feels like an exciting time!

    Thank you for sharing the nuances of your journey.

    ReplyDelete