Friday, April 30, 2010

Full Moon Thoughts

We had an incredibly lovely full moon this week.

I've been dreaming every night. I dream a huge flock of birds is flying overhead, they are all bald eagles. Hundreds, thousands of eagles. They are carrying their fledglings in their mouths. One is carrying many, many ears of golden corn. I awake with the feeling that I have been shown something holy.

This blog has evolved from my initial intention of "horse stories" to a record of an inner and outer journey, centered on our small farm and my connection to the animals here. But I will wander afield into dreams from time to time, that great wisdom that comes to life when we fall asleep. I intuit that the source of this wisdom is the same Source that teaches us through our animals and our lives with them. One wisdom, many teachers. How patient the universe is with us!

Much undemanding time with the herd this week.  Walter Donkey has the closest bond to me. He comes to greet me (as long as I don't rudely misstep his dance with me!) and plays stick to me, preferring me to eating. What a compliment! He won't leave me until I consciously separate myself from him. Susie continues to prefer eating to anything else I have to offer, apart from scratches on her sweet spots. Sophia wanders close to me while grazing, and often wants to come to me, but she is living in her own reality. Her attention is often captured by things invisible to me. She is the "listener" and the "watcher" in the herd.

The less that I approach them with an agenda, the better I notice small things. A particular tilt of the head. A quite small swish of a tail. Sophia asked for a cookie this week, the very first time since she has lived here that she asked for something. How delightful! She was so mannerly, it would have been easy to miss. I'm glad that I didn't.

We had a heavy frost two nights ago, which did away with my recently planted tomatoes and basil. Oh, well, I was a bit optimistic to plant so soon, but sun and 70 degrees is quite seductive after a long winter.

Molly inspecting the frost:
"I HATE cold, wet paws.:
The mares found a sunny spot to stand on a chilly April morning:

No comments:

Post a Comment